Friday, September 5, 2008

Successful New Adventures

Kelsey has mastered sitting up in the past week. It's her favorite way to be . . . unless Carter whizzes by and knocks her over (on purpose or accident). Nonetheless, she goes with the flow and will actually let Carter do just about anything to her.
She had her check up at the doctor this week. We are happy to report a climb to the 15th percentile for weight and 25th for height. We are still having major problems with her refusing baby food - any suggestions out there?
We took an evening family hike up Kennesaw Mountain this week. It was absolutely perfect! Both kids were almost silent the entire time taking it all in - and the best part was that Phill and I actually got to have an hour long conversation as adults with the kids awake!
** Carter Preschool Update: He officially LOVES school. He can hardly wait for the 2 days he goes (I'm thinking I should have enrolled him in 3 days). Every morning he's gone, he practically runs down the hall to his classroom and stops atleast once to glance up at me and say "Mommy, I am so excited!" Now, there IS a downfall to loving school as much as he does. And it comes at the end of the day when I go to pick him up. I walk in the church (kelsey on my hip) with excitement to see my son and imagining how his face will light up when he sees me and that "Mooommee!!" run to me to cling my leg (filling my "Yes I must be the best mom ever!" cup full). Well, my dreams are shattered because as I turn the corner to meet Carter at school today, he looks up at me with eyes that say "YOU'RE here already??!!" Then promptly, RUNS (with all his might like I am a big scarey monster) down the halls of the church (yes, in front of everyone) saying "noooo, I don't wanna go!!" Now, let me remind you I have Kelsey on my hip and I am desperately trying to compose myself in this somewhat embarrassing moment with my child. I mean, is his homelife really that bad?? What are these teachers thinking? Now I can't even control or "catch" my kid. I chase Carter for what seems like forever. All the while, I try to get close enough to him to quietly threat a spanking to him (I mean can I even spank him in a church though?) My attempts got as desperate as to bribe him wtih his apple juice waiting in the car. At this point, I just want to get out of here! (Side note: Kelsey thinks this is hystercial chasing her brother and she is giggling out loud as we do our run/walk) I finally corner him in a gym and we have a nice little talk and he decides to go home. We walk very fast out the door, mainly because I am afraid he'll change his mind again and we'll start the whole process over.
The car ride home consisted of Carter repeating to me that he would NOT be running from mommy again and that he was sorry. Thank God for carpool starting next week - in which the teacher will kindly place his hiney in my car for me when I drive up. Needless to say, Carter DOES love school!

5 comments:

Summer Pendley said...

Shannon...this post cracks me up! Ha! Noah would probably be the same way if it wasn't for the carpool drop-off. :)

On another note, Kelsey looks SO cute sitting up. We are anxiously waiting for that milestone for Sailer too, b/c it will help me so much.

What's going on with the food thing? We need to talk...I have a friend who's daughter did the exact same thing around this age....I'll email you! :) Love the post!

sjefferson said...

That is hysterical!

Beth Goff said...

Kelsey is so cute!! I am glad Carter loves school... I hope to put Karoline in preschool sometime soon. It's crazy how much it costs here though. I'll probably start her at 3.

I am so glad things are going well!

Jennifer & Jimmy said...

Bud, I can so see this happening. I think is cute, but I'm sure at the time you thought otherwise. :)
Budley ;)

Heather said...

i am so glad that he loves schooL!!!!

as for the baby food .. my kids gave it up around 9 months. They hated it from day #1 pretty much. I just had to give up and start table food. if you think about it, we don't eat with our front teeth ...so, as long as it's small enough to 'gum' it -- i'd just feed her what you are eating.

have a great one!
*do you want to talk about a possible baby shower for A? gretch and i were thinking about getting you and Mols involved?????

HH