Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Word Play

It is a somewhat hectic moment in the Galbeath household. It's lunchtime. Kelsey is hungry and tired - and letting us know it. The TV is on and I am trying to get carter to sit down for lunch so I can feed Kelsey. It's so chaotic that Carter asks for the TV to be turned off. And our little word play begins . . .
"Great idea Carter," I say turning off the TV. "Sometimes it's just nice to have some PEACE and quiet!"
"What'd you say Mommy?" says Carter (this is his 'go to' response when he is confused)
"I said it's nice to have some peace, huh?" I say.
Carter looks down at his plate of food very intently, "Mommy, there's no peas here today."
"Not peas, Carter. PEACE. You have peace when everyone is happy and quiet and calm."
Carter still looks rather perplexed at this explanation but decides to hold up his cheese and says, "Oh, then what does this PIECE of cheese have, Mommy?"
I decide to give up. Smiling, I respond, "That piece of cheese has to be eaten. Now eat up your lunch bud!"

I love interacting with a toddler as they learn new words - or not in this case. We'll try again for "peace" another day.

2 comments:

Summer Pendley said...

Shannon..I love reading your blog b/c if I decide NOT to post something new on ours, I can just go to yours and I'm instantly reminded of what my world is like.

We are going through similar situations here recently...it seems like each question is followed by another question..and another, and on and on. Then, at the end of it all, we MAY or MAY NOT be on the same page...but, it's okay! We're learning to be better communicators, right? :)

But, like you, I love interacting with a toddler too..I think I've become extremely hypervigilant through living with one..:)

We'll catch up soon...I have some stuff to tell you!

Beth Goff said...

Cute story!! Hope yall are doing well!